Kel brought me to the realization, that these are the last of the firsts. The last first cry, the last first time to roll over, the last first time to have solid foods, the last first time to crawl, the last first time to sit up alone, the last first time to pull to a standing, the last first time to stand alone, the last first word, the last first sign, the last first wave goodbye, the last first blowing a kiss, the last first clap, the last first steps, the last first tooth...... and this makes me sad. I love the little person that she is growing into, but I am so sad that our 'baby' is getting so big. I just want to freeze time. And go back and re-live every moment. To make sure that it is all etched in my memory forever.
And I am pretty positive that she is the last of our clan. After we had Gryfinn, we knew that we wanted another one. We both wanted another. So as soon as we could, we bought more vials of our donor, I started tracking my cycle - cause we were going to try as soon as Gryfinn turned one. And we did. Our first try was right before he turned one. The 2nd in August, the third in September - which was when we got pregnant. So, although I wanted to freeze time then, I was excited and anxious to have our next member of our clan. Now, as Caelyn approaches her 1st birthday - WAY TOO FAST, I must say - I have this sadness. That our baby, the true baby of our family, is growing up. Knowing that she is the last, that we will not go through the process of getting pregnant, the stress of waiting, the upset of a failed cycle, the excitement of a positive pregnancy test, the worry of the 1st trimester - heck, the worry of the entire pregnancy, the excitement over hearing the most beautiful sound - the rapid beat of your unborn childs heart, the wonderful joy of seeing him/her for the first time on ultrasound, feeling those first flutters, seeing your partners face the first time she feels him/her move, the excited anxiousness as you await signs of labor, the excruciating pains of labor - that you know you can get through cause they mean that your precious little one is about to make his/her debut, that final push - and then you hear the sound that brings tears to your eyes even 11 years after they were born - their first breath of life, that first cry, and then that first look. When you look into their eyes, and they look into yours - and you know that God has given you the most precious gift - your partners child.
I reread this - and I come to one conclusion - I want another baby. But, I know that our house is too small, that our finances are to slim, and my nerves probably too shot to handle another child. So I need to come to terms with it. But it is hard. I have always known that I was born to be a Mom. I have always been great with kids - family, friends, strangers - their children and babies flocked to me even as a kid. And I have always loved to be surrounded by them. Their joy and excitement is amazing to me. I find everything about them fascinating! Granted, when Gryfinn is at his grumpiest and throwing his biggest fit, and I have to put him in time out - I do sometimes want to pull my hair out - but hearing him in time out saying 'Me need Mommy, Me need Danielle, Me need Mama, Me need Kelly' - breaks my heart and brings a smile to my face. Because they, these children, never cease to amaze me.
So - I will have to just live vicariously through those of you who are pregnant or get pregnant - whether it be your first or your sixth. I will fill my void through you! So - please don't mind my questions. I am not probing, or being nosey - I just really want to be a part of it - even if we are thousands of miles apart.
13 comments:
Oh God. I so know what you mean. I swore after the difficulty of the last pregnancy that it just wasn't possible for us to do it again and survive. And that's still the truth. I don't see how we would all make it through another 9 months like that. But it is so hard. Everything that our baby does we go: it's the last. And my wife would totally do it again regardless of the pregnancy and money and everything else so there's that...
I just hope that it makes me savor it all the more now.
It all goes by way to fast! I wish I could go back and kiss my sweet babies cheeks again... Now im kissing a big girls cheeks and its just as wonderful but oh so bitter sweet to see them grow up....
It makes me so sad too, to watch Kayla getting so big and Nick missing it all. I hate it. And when I think about her 1st birthday party in less than 3 months, I get really sad. Its soooo bittersweet. I know exactly what you mean. I dont know how Im going to get through her first birthday my husband here. :(
You know how I feel about this.
Have more babies :)
LOTS AND LOTS OF BABIES !
I hadn't thought about things quite this way and now I'm sad.
We're planning one more, but that's probably it. It makes me sad too. Just the other day we were talking about it and we said we'd wished we started sooner, so we could fit more in. Then we knew that even if we had, we wouldn't have this exact person that we have now. Who is just perfect.
I would have bet anyone that you were not "really" done having babies..maybe you aren't you just don't know it yet : ) You kno wyou could always add on to your house...and guess what they make bigger ones now...heehee....of course I have no answers for hte money portion?!?!?! If I don't get pregnant soon, you are gonna have to have another one because we were suppose to have kids close in age to grow up together and be the bestest friends, just like us!!!
I know how you feel. Each day my daughter gets older and I wonder if I am done then I think about everything and say you know you are so stop thinking about it. It is very sad.
I too feel the pain. I always said I wasn't going to let the rest of our children grow up as fast as our first, with him everything seemed to flash by so fast I hardly had time to relish in it, but now this child seems determined otherwise. She so far has reached every milestone early, why oh why do they always grow faster than I would like to allow? *sigh* DP said if she was a girl then she should be our last, but thats not going to happen, I'm just not ready for her to be our last, and DP finally agrees!
I too feel the pain. I always said I wasn't going to let the rest of our children grow up as fast as our first, with him everything seemed to flash by so fast I hardly had time to relish in it, but now this child seems determined otherwise. She so far has reached every milestone early, why oh why do they always grow faster than I would like to allow? *sigh* DP said if she was a girl then she should be our last, but thats not going to happen, I'm just not ready for her to be our last, and DP finally agrees!
I too feel the pain. I always said I wasn't going to let the rest of our children grow up as fast as our first, with him everything seemed to flash by so fast I hardly had time to relish in it, but now this child seems determined otherwise. She so far has reached every milestone early, why oh why do they always grow faster than I would like to allow? *sigh* DP said if she was a girl then she should be our last, but thats not going to happen, I'm just not ready for her to be our last, and DP finally agrees!
Just go for it- have another or else you will always regret it. Build onto the house when you can- bunk beds are wonderful- it's easy. You can do it- start tracking your cycles- see your heart is racing just thinking about it.
I can feel how sad you are through the post. My heart breaks for you.
(((HUGS)))
I can imagine how much this hurts. I have always said I would have more than just one so I haven't had to come to this realization yet, so I have the hope of having another... but whenever I don't this will hit me the same exact way. I am already sad that AJ is growing up so fast! I get teary eyed when I put away his too small clothes or when I look at old pictures and videos. It is bittersweet!
Did you guys change your mind after this post???
Post a Comment