Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Praying For a Miracle

Dear God

I am writing you this because I have a friend who is in need of a miracle. I pray, as do so many others, for her and her family. I know that you have a lot of requests, but I just want to plead her case.

She is 29. The wonderful Mom of a 3 year old son and 5 1/2 month old twin boys. Her and her husband are one of the few couples that actually love each other, and show it.

She was first diagnosed with Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma (ACC) before she had any of her kids. It was only in her salivary glands, so they were able to remove it with surgery. It came back when she was pregnant with her 3 year old. And again, they were able to remove it. Well, unfortunately, it came back again, when she was pregnant with her twins. Her ob/gyn would not allow surgery until after she delivered, due to it being too risky. She had the twins at 35 weeks, and they had it scheduled to do surgery 4 weeks after her c-section. While she was pregnant with the twins, she had a lot of pelvic and back pain, which she took as her sciatic nerve. After she had them, the pain did not go away, so she had it checked out. They found out that she had 3 large (inoperable) masses in her pelvic bone. After doing further testing, they found that she had lesions in her upper left chest wall and her upper left arm. She was going to a dr that she had always liked, until she found out that they were only treating her to make her life more comfortable - not to cure her or save her. She told them that this was her life they were screwing with. She took matters into her own hands, and found a wonderful dr in Cleveland. This dr gave her hope, and the first good news she had received in a long time. They submitted all of her information for a clinical trial that will take place in Pittsburgh. I guess that it was sort of like an application. Once they accepted her for the clinical trial, she had to have all the tests redone, I guess to 'prove' that she actually has ACC. When they did these tests, they found that it had spread to all 4 lobes of her lungs and also to her right kidney. She knew that this meant it was urgent to get the ball rolling. Things were getting in gear to start, and she has a seizure. Upon doing more tests, they find that she has a mass on her brain. Her dr has her go to Pittsburgh. They can not start her clinical chemo until they take care of this mass. Her dr decides to do surgery to remove it. Everything went great. The mass was 1 inch by 1 inch in size. Shortly after she gets home from Pittsburgh, she gets an infection. They take her to the local hospital, and try to treat her with antibiotics. They feared that she had MRSA because the infection would not respond to the antibiotics. They found out that she has a blood clot in her arm and also on her brain, and that was keeping the antibiotics from getting to the infection. She then has to give herself shots of blood thinner. She fights with the dr's and they do release her so that she is able to go home and see her 3 year old all dressed up for trick or treat. They do another scan, and have it all set up for her to do 2 rounds of radiation, to sterilize the spot on her brain, and then she will start the clinical chemo 10 days after her last radiation. This past Sunday, she gets a call from her dr, and he says that he wants her to be in Pittsburgh Monday morning so that they can get going on her treatment. When she gets to Pittsburgh, they do another scan, and they find more spots on her brain. Due to this, she no longer meets the requirements for the clinical trial. They were going to go ahead and do radiation and some form of chemo yesterday, but I am not sure how all of that went.

Through everything, she has been so strong, so positive, so optimistic, so full of faith. She just knew that this clinical trial was it - it was going to kill her cancer so that she could get back to living. I am not sure how she has been affected by this recent news. But I know how I have been, and that is why I am praying to you.

I want her kids to know her. I want her twins to know the love that she shows them everyday. I want them to feel it, and know it, forever. And I want her 3 year old to remember her. If she goes now, her twins will never know her, her touch, her love, and her 3 year old will slowly lose those memories. I want her to be here when her 3 year old starts his first day of kindergarten, and I want her to see her twins crawl, walk, and I want her to hear them say I love you. I want her to grow old with her husband, and to be able to spoil her grandkids rotten.

I am asking for nothing short of a miracle. I know that sometimes you want these people to come home to you. That you want to take care of them. But I am pleading that you grant this miracle - that you let her get well here on Earth, so that she can take care of her kids. So that she can be a part of all three of her kids lives as they grow up. So that her husband has her support while raising three rotten boys.

I know that it will take a miracle to cure her. Her cancer is very aggressive, and has spread so very fast. But, you are the one that can grant this miracle. Please let this woman, this Mom, this wife, this daughter, this sister, this friend, get well. She has so much to live for, and she is fighting so hard to continue living.

Amen

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I will pray for your friend. I am so sorry her, her family and you guys are all going through this. Sometimes it all just doesn't make sense.

The Mother Hen said...

I too will pray for your friend, please keep us updated with her progress. You are a good friend.

DaniKel said...

Thanks to you both. She needs all the prayers that she can get. I will definitely keep you updated. And I hope and pray that it is good news from here on out.

RainbowMomma said...

I'll send tons of prayers for your friend and her family and those who love her, like you.