So... since my last post.....
Caelyn started fevering last Thursday. It was low grade, and her nose was running. We figured it was either a cold virus or due to one her teeth that are trying to come through. (she now has three!! and one is just starting to poke through and another is real close, and two more look like they are right behind). But come Saturday, she has a cough. A deep cough. And I knew in my heart that I should take her to the dr. But, I didn't. I waited. Come Sunday, her cough is worse. Sounds very barky, and I knew she had croup. She coughs so bad she has a hard time catching her breath and gets way upset. She loses her voice and sounds so raspy. And I'm kicking myself for not taking her on Saturday. She gets a steroid shot, prednisolone script and a script for azithromyosin. And also one for robitussin with codeine, but I didn't get it filled. Makes me nervous. And so far she hasn't had any trouble sleeping due to coughing. I think she finally feels better today. She is eating again, and her cough no longer sounds deep and barky. She is still whiney, which is not like her, and she is pale and has dark circles around her eyes, and her poor voice is still raspy. Poor baby.
And, then there's Gryfinn. He takes his last dose of antibiotic on Saturday morning. By that evening, he is fevering. It was low grade, but enough to make me worry. By Sunday, it is up to 103. I knew in my heart that his strep didn't go away, and that he needed to go back to the dr. But I didn't take him. Then he breaks out in a rash. So I visit my old trusty friend - Google - and it says he has Scarlet Fever. Call the dr - and of course by this time, they are closed. In the middle of the night, he wakes up with a high fever, I give him some Junior Motrin - the chewables, because we learned that he does MUCH better with these than he does the liquid. And then the fever induced dreams start. He was dreaming about a yellow train that was coming, and apparently he was scared, and he kept telling me to turn it off. I couldn't get him to calm down, he just kept going on and on - so I told him that I did, that I did turn the yellow train off. Poor guy. Those kind of dreams suck. I remember having fever induced dreams when I would get strep. They were always the same, and there wasn't much too them, but I just remember being scared as hell. Anyways - we wake up, and he doesn't have a fever. So, I think, huh, I guess this time I was just wanting to jump the gun. Maybe it is just a cold, one that the antibiotic wouldn't touch, and there's no need to take him to the dr. Then, of course, the fever starts back up. I decide that I was taking him. And I did. And guess what? He has Scarlet Fever. I knew it. His tonsils are still infected, and the amoxicillin just was not strong enough. The rash will heal on it's own, and we get a script for a stronger antibiotic.
I need to start listening to myself. I knew with both the kids that we should have taken them in. Maybe by now they would both be feeling better - and I wouldn't be thinking about filling that robitussin script so that I - um, I mean the kids - could get a good nights sleep. LOL Juuust kiddddinnnngggg! I just want my babies to get better. Caelyn is so not her self, she is always so active and self sufficient, and for her to just want to sit on my lap, and then Kel's, and then mine, and then Kel's and then mine and then Kel's (yes, this went on all day. She would want the one for about 3.5 minutes, and then she would have to have the other one) and Gryfinn is a horrible sick kid. I mean, he is whiney as all get out, and he is needy, and nothing makes him happy. And he is pitiful. Just pitiful. And on top of all that - they haven't had any sleep. The Mom's haven't had any sleep, AND I started. So, I'm already tired, crampy, and grumpy, and then add lack of sleep, and two really sick kids. Yep, I called in today, and most likely will again tomorrow. My sick babies need me. And I need to take care of them.
Please send prayers or healthy wishes our way. We need them!
11 comments:
OH man I am SSSSSOOOOOOO sorry both the little ones are sick :( Praying for a speedy recovery for both of them!! And some sleep for ALL!
Im so sorry they are sick! Its funny how different Dr. give Scrips out.. Mine doesnt like to give anything for cough at a yong age and others will. Sofia has never had Antibiotic so I dont remember much from when my son was young. I hope you get some rest soon I know what you mean about your babies needing you :)
Scarlet fever. Seriously. I didn't even know kids got that anymore. They don't think that it hurt anything long term though right ?
Good hell girl !
Don't kick yourself. We all do it. Especially when it's not your first. You've heard it all before. She has a sore throat, give her tylenol every 4-6 hrs.
I can't believe your doctor threw out the script for codeine. WOW ! Nice doctor. I'd like to use that for a few days :)
I too hate those sick dreams. Sydney is the one who gets them. ugh. You feel so bad for them.
They don't think that she will get scarlet fever right ? Is it contagious or is it just the way your body reacts to strep ?
Sending get well vibes to both of your kids.
OH!! Poor babies! They sound just miserable! Don't beat yourself up though. You just take your time off and take care of those sweeties. Give them hugs from us. I hope everyone is feeling better soon.
The poor kids! I hope they feel better soon! And don't beat yourself up over it. With the cost of health care now, it's only natural to not want to spend that money...it's ridiculous! Hope everyone feels better soon!!
I'm sending both prayers and good healing thoughts and anything else you need. That sounds so terrible for you and the kids.
Try not to second guess yourself though. I feel like with kids there's always that "should we go to the doctor or not" and it can go either way.
I am so so sorry. I know how it is to be taking care of one sick kid, can't imagine two! I really hope everyone starts feeling better soon.
Sorry they are sick!!!!!! Lots of hugs and kisses to everyone!!!!
You know, we have insurance and still do the "wait another day and see if the fever breaks before calling the doctor" dance. SO OFTEN it's nothing but a virus, so don't beat yourself up over it.
I hope that your babies are feeling much better soon and that you are able to get some rest.
I'm praying for you all and hoping they kids get better fast and STAY better! Poor moms. And I'm sorry about the whole health insurance dance. That's not the kind of thing people should have to worry about when it comes to taking care of a child. what state do you live in? Do they have any free health care for kids that you are eligible for?
That sucks that you have 2 sick babies and 2 tired moms..I hope everything gets better for your whole family! Wish I could smuggle you on our cruise, you and Kel could sleep for days..i love the beds they have and the rooms are so dark!
Post a Comment