Sunday, August 7, 2011

Why Did We Go There???

With Summer, brings heat. Smoldering hot, humid weather. And apparently with hot humid weather brings bacteria. In your ear!

Middle of the night of July 21st, Jaykie woke us up. He was in severe pain. His ear was throbbing. It was seeping. It was a looooonnnnngggg night. I called the dr's office as soon as they opened. The dr said that his ear drum was ruptured, that his ear was full of fluid, fluid that was bubbling due to the bacterial infection. Since he is allergic to cef.tin and aug.memtin, he was prescribed bia.xin. Poor kid, this medicine was awful. It smelled good, but it was gritty. I mean it was like there was sand in it. Just awful. And needless to say, he decided to work on swallowing pills, (ad.vil for pain) so that he never has to take this crap again!

He finishes the medicine on July 31. The pain has never fully gone away, and his ear is still seeping. On Aug 1st, the pain is really bad again. So I call the dr and he gets us in . His ear is still full of fluid, it is still bubbling. He does a culture, refers us to an ENT and prescribes him chalindymacin.

We get a call on Aug 6th, saying to call the dr's office back, that they have the results. Kel calls, and the dr tells her that Jaykie has a Staph infection. In his ear. And not only does he have a Staph infection, but that it is antibiotic resisitant. That the antibiotics he has already been on will do nothing for the infection. How freaking great is that? He said that it has been known to respond to some ceph.alosporins. Which Jaykie is allergic too. So, he precribes him Bac.trim and hopes that it will do the trick.

Jaykie is feeling better. He just about dies each time he has to take the medicine. Cause the dr called him in a liquid. And he has to take 3 teaspoons twice a day. But, he does feel better! So that is good. We go see the ENT on Aug 25. We hope that the infection is cleared up. Cause you remember that post I did here - where I said we had 'joked' about meeting our dedictible and that if anyone was going to the hospital or the dr, that this would be the year to do it. Damn - why did we go there??

1 comment:

K J and the kids said...

OH MAN ! POOR LITTLE THING !
I can't imagine how painful this whole thing was for him. and a staph infection. how stinking scary is that.
sheesh.
I can't believe with the infection that they won't get you in before the 25th. WTH.

I hope this works. I hope it all clears up with no more issues.

Sorry Jaykie :(