I want to tell each and every one of you thank you for your thoughts and prayers. It means so much to me!
The surgery went good. The first part took 2 hours. The first surgeon went in through his abdomen and cleared the path, removed what was left of his discs. The second part took 3 more hours. This surgeon flipped him over and went in from his back to place the metal cage around his spine. Both surgeries went good. The second surgeon told us that he had a mild case of scoliosis and he went ahead and fixed that while he was in there. He was in recovery for about a half hour when they let us go back and see him. He was doing good! In a bit of pain, but that was to be expected. He said his back hurt about the same as before, it was his stomach that was giving him fits. After they got his pain under control and his vital were stable they moved him to his room. When I left he was getting ready to watch some American Idol. I talked to my Mom this morning (she stayed with him) and she said they have him sitting up some (last night he was flat on his back). He has had some jello, and will be on a clear diet today. They plan to get him up and walking *** just got a text from my Mom, they have him sitting on the edge of the bed, and he is hurting pretty bad *** She said that he wants to put some clothes on. He's tired of the hospital gown. He is doing much better than we all thought he would. From what the dr's told us, we expected him to be howling and such from the pain. But, he is a trooper, and we should have known better. He is not one to howl at pain. He just takes it all in and goes with it.
Surgery is over, now just the recovery. He has a long road, but it will all be worth it.
His daughter is doing good. Her leg is still hurting, but she is sooo much like her Dad, and she just goes with it. Not one to piss and moan about just anything. That's how when she fell, that we all knew it was serious. For her, if there is a complaint, she's hurt, if there's tears, it's bad. And there were tears.
Oh - and on top of everything else - I think our total accumulation of snow is like 17-19 inches. It snowed last Friday into Saturday. By the time the roads were all finally clear, it started again Monday night. As of last night, the total was 16 inches in our area, and we were supposed to get 1-3 more inches over night. It is crazy! The kids have had 2 snow days and are loving it! I have pic's from over the weekend - I will try and post those later.
3 comments:
So thankful things went well. Praying for a quick recovery and no pain! I know I live in a dreamworld- but it never hurts to ask God right?
The snow sounds fun I think. I like it when the town shuts down as long as we are all home and have lots to eat! Priorities ya know.
Jen was just asking about you guys the other day and says Hi- she has no time to check e-mail or blogs. Do you guys facebook?
Hey there. I did not see your post abou the upcoming surgery, but I was thinking about you, so when I read your blog, i knew why. I am glad to hear your brother is doing well. My DP has back problems and we have been trhough surgeries too and it is not fun. But hopefully he will be all better once this heals. Hope all is well with you and the family.
Hugs!
Tara
Now that's some UTAH snow :) woo hoo ! I would TOTALLY lend you our snowblower....as we haven't really needed it much this year. but as you can see outside...there's no way to get to your house with all of that snow :)
Glad the surgery went well and that everyone is healing.
Post a Comment