Tuesday, April 24, 2012

To Shower or Not to Shower

This is a discussion Kel and I have had several times over the past year.  Just kinda talk about it.  Whether we should shower or not.

You see, we are getting married in less than X months.  And, typically, someone close the the bride throws her a shower.  We have two brides.  And we were leery.  Ya know, cause we are two brides.  Cause we live together and have for nearly 10 years.  But I believe the biggest hang up for us was because we are two brides.

Why is it that we even felt like we shouldn't?  Just because we are not a man and woman we shouldn't have a shower to spoil us before our big day?  We shouldn't be honored?  Society has done this.  Made us feel like second class citizens.  Which I guess, knowing that we have to venture to another state to be legally married goes in to play here also. 

But, anyways, we decided that if someone wanted to throw us a shower, then we would have one.  We deserve it!  To be spoiled! To be honored!  And, thanks to our wonderful sister in law Tina, we are having a shower on May 12!!  And I am excited about it!  She is going to do like a spa them, and have wine and snacks.  It will be a lovely time!!  And I no longer have any reservations about it.  Cause we really do deserve it.  And we are only inviting people that are close to us, people that support us. 

The only typical thing that we will not be doing is registering.  We have a house.  One that is fully furnished with everything we need.  We have four kids.  So if something breaks, we replace it.  Can't go without a toaster, or can opener, etc.  Granted, there are some things that I would like to have.  Like a new washer and dryer, or one of those expensive mixers.  Ya know, the one on the stand, that has all the different paddles, beaters or whatever they are called.  But those are things I would never register for.  So, we have told Tina to either put this in the invite or get it out by word of mouth, that gifts aren't expected, but if anyone would like to get us something, that gift cards for gas or restaurants, or visa gift cards or money would be good.  We are taking a family honeymoon after the wedding, and the extra money can and will be used for that.  To make our family honeymoon better than we already have planned!  Some may think it's tacky.  But that's us, tacky! ;)

Thanks Tina!!  It means a lot to us that you are doing a shower for us!  We couldn't ask for a better sister in law!!

3 comments:

K J and the kids said...

If it were mine. and it's not....so just go with me :)
I wouldn't have a shower...because a shower is typically for a couple that are coming together and building a home. I already have a home built. So I would just incorporate it into a big rockin' bachelorette bash.

I think you should do whatever you want to do. Just have fun :)

Tina said...

I would throw you one if I could:) you deserve it!

Alessi Family said...

You are getting married!!!

Of course you deserve it!!!