Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Steroid Monster & The Queen of Girlie

They put Gryfinn on a steroid. To help with swelling and also because they say that it can help with nausea and vomiting on days 4 and 5. Well, let me tell ya. It has turned our sweet lil 4 yr old into a mean little monster! I kid you not.

Here is an example. Anytime he has an eyelash, or wishes on a star, his wishes go like this.

"I wish that it would snow" or
"I wish that Grandma would come over and play" or
"I wish that I got to play with Grandma everyday" or
"I wish I could go back to the beach with Grandma".

Well, after being on the steroid, and being in pain, and having to take that NASTY tylenol with codeine, and not being able to go outside and play in the snow, and not being able to get up and play the Wii, and not feeling like getting up and playing the Wii or going outside to play in the snow - this is what he wished for.

"I wish that Sissy had to have her tonsils taken out"


Poor evil little boy. I asked him, "What happened, did we leave our sweet little boy at the hospital and bring this mean little boy home with us?" He replied "No, it's me right here" and smiled. So I guess the sweetness was still in there - just hiding pretty good.

He is doing much better. He is off the steroid (yay!) and finished up his antibiotic yesterday. We also have taken him down from the tylenol with codeine to regular tylenol. Which he takes much better, cause they are the meltaways. The middle of the night and first thing in the morning is kinda rough. I think because his throat is dry, from not having drank in a few hours. But once he gets something to drink and his tylenol kicks in, he is better. Still eating really good. And his voice is starting to get back to normal - he has been nasally and squeaky - reminded us of Warehouse Mouse on Imagination Movers. He has done MUCH better than we ever thought he would. And I am SO glad.

Now - for the Queen of Girlie.

For anyone that doesn't really know Kel and I, neither one of us are girlie. We don't wear makeup - unless we are going out, or maybe sometimes for holidays, or sometimes if we have to go in to the office - but really, neither one of us really ever wear make up. We don't paint our fingernails or toe nails - unless it is Summer, and there's a wedding, and open toed shoes/sandals will be worn - then yes, the toenails will get painted. We don't wear much jewelry. I have a necklace that has a charm from my Mom and one from a friend of ours, and I wear my engagement/wedding rings. Kel sometimes wears a necklace and wears her rings and a watch. We don't spend hours getting ready - shoot - if you tallied it up - hours wouldn't be the time it would take either one of us in an entire week to get ready - and that includes showers, shaving (if and when that gets done), getting dressed, brushing teeth, etc. Anyways - my point is that we are not girlie.

But... Lil Miss Caelyn has proven to be just that. Super Girlie! She will change her clothes several times a day. And at least 2 of those clothing changes will be into her dress up clothes - which is usually a tutu of some sort, no shirt, and some princess dress up shoes, and probably a tiara, and necklaces and bracelets and rings. Cause you know the girl has to accessorize! And she LOVES LOVES LOVES to paint her nails. On a daily basis, we hear her say "Mom, I need to do my nails!" If you go into the bathroom, and actually get to shut the door, you hear a knock, and a sweet lil voice saying "Mom, open up, I need to do my nails". And she is too big of course, at her ripe ole age of 2 years and 7 months, that she does not need any help. "I do it by my SELF!" I need to have a talk with Santa - cause why would he put fingernail polish in her stocking?!! Seriously man - give these Mom's a break! We aren't ready for this - we thought we had at least - ya know - like 2 more years, until she was like 4 or something!

4 comments:

K J and the kids said...

I'm sorry that I laughed about his comment on steroids. :)
What a crack up.
Glad he's doing better.

I AM the one that gets ready (well not anymore) and puts makeup on (well not anymore) and paints my toenails (well not anymore) and I have a daughter who won't play with dolls or barbies. :(
I think it's one of those challenges to make us grow as people :) Experience loving someone completely different from us, unconditionally.

Kate said...

Glad the steroids are done- at least you will know if he sneeks them as a teenager! :)

I understand the girly thing- taya is all girl- makes you think of nature vs nurture. All we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride! :)

Shannon said...

Welcome to my world! Sydney is 100% girl! It's like pulling teeth to get the kid to wear jeans (which is the only thing I wear) She will only wear skirts and dresses. She has a closet full of dress up cloths and shoes too. Lipgloss and nail polish are pretty much the best things ever created. Anyway have fun with your girly girl. Glad Gryfinn is feeling better!

P said...

Yes I agree steroids can take normally sweet person and turn them into a monster. It does the same to me. Happy to hear he is on his way to recovery and off the steroids. I love the fact that you have a little girlie girl my frieds are going through the same with their little girl and they both are not girlie either. I guess J and I are a mixture of both (me kinda girlie and her not so much). She fears that we have a girlie girl and she will not know what to do with that. I tell her to hang in there she will figure it all out but I think she is secretly rooting for a boy. Take care.