Knowing that this country has so many people that are filled with hatred. Proposition 8 in California passed. And I just am having a hard time with this. We live in Ohio. We have no rights here. No Domestic Partnerships. No Second Parent Adoptions. And 4 years ago it was on our ballot to limit marriage to one man and one woman. But it didn't stop there. It went on to say that unmarried couples are not to be afforded any rights as legally married couples. It was devastating. But, we live in Ohio, and that was already how it was. Not that I am saying I am ok with it, or that I think it is fair, cause I am not and I do not. In California, they overturned a ruling limiting marriage to one man and one woman, cause it was deemed unconstitutional. And they started allowing same-sex marriages. And then, now, it has been taken away. A right that should be allowed to all citizens of the united states. But is not. Someone who is incarcerated has the legal right to marry. But a woman who is in love with another woman, or a man in love with another man, does not have the right to marry the person he or she loves.
People (as in these people that are filled with hatred) say that we (as in gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender) do not deserve any special rights. How do they see that we want special rights? Cause that would mean that they were giving us something that others do not have. The right to marry the one that you love is not a special right. It is a common right. It is a civil right. It is a human right.
These people also say that allowing same-sex marriage undermines the sanctity of marriage. I am not sure how in this day and age they can say that allowing two people who truly love each other get married will undermine the sanctity of marriage. I do believe that the sanctity of marriage has been undermined by those who marry and think 'if this doesn't work out, we will just get divorced'. Or by those husbands, or wives, that cheat on their spouses. Or by the husbands or wives who just walk out on their families. These people have undermined the sanctity of marriage.
And then, you have those people who say being gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender is a choice. Now why would anyone in their right mind 'choose' to be bashed, 'choose' to be treated like a second class citizen, 'choose' to not be afforded the same rights as everyone else? The only choice that is being made is to live your life truthfully. To not lie to yourself and the rest of the world. To live open and honest. To be who you are, and not hide. That is the only choice.
And then you have you those people who say that we are an abomination. That God does not love us. That He does not support us. That we are not His children. And that my friends, is WRONG! God made me who I am. God loves me. And God is not wrong. He does not make people that He does not love. That He does not support and stand behind. And if God did not make me who I am, He would not have given me my beautiful children. Cause I have no doubt that they are the work of God. They are my gifts from Him. Showing me that I am His child, and that He loves me as I am. And that He supports me. And that He does not think I am an abomination.
And then you have the people who say that marriage is to procreate and nothing else. So - since I can not procreate without the help of a donor, then I should not be able to marry my same-sex partner? But what about the heterosexual couples that unfortunately have infertility issues? Should their marriage become void because they can not 'procreate'? No, that is just absurd. God has brought to us other means to have children. He has brought us adoption, and He has brought us invitro, and He has brought us sperm donors, and egg donors. Because our children are our children, no matter how they are brought into our lives, they were and are meant to be our children.
These people that I speak of. They are filled with hatred. And that hatred is not the work of God. I am not the most religious person, but I do believe in God. And I believe that He made me who I am. And I also believe that He does not fill people with hatred.
I know I have rambled on today, but this has been laying heavy on my mind, and on my heart. And what better place to talk about all of it than my blog. I will leave with this - that I have faith. That one day, we will be treated equal.
1 comment:
Very good way to put everything!
Post a Comment