Friday, November 14, 2008

Donating milk, making baby food, starting solids, dr's appt and a house full of sickness

Sooo... alot has happened since I last blogged. Gryfinn had strep throat, which was soo not fun. For him or for us. The poor guy ran a fever nearing 105 - which had us scared. He wouldn't eat, and getting him to take his medicine caused him to do alot of crying. Which this led to him having a swollen testicle, which really made me worry, until I called the dr. I was afraid that it might be twisted, or medically known as torsion. But there was no pain at all. So when I called the dr he informed that it was probably hydraseal. Which is caused when there is alot of crying, and fluid leaks from the abdomen into the sac. He also stated that it could eventually be cause for concern, cause a hernia could form. So we are to keep an eye on it just in case. (I also asked the dr again (different dr) when I took Caelyn in for her check up - I guess just to be safe, and he said the same thing)

Caelyn had her 4 month check up (at almost 5 months) and she weighs 13lbs 10oz and is 26 inches long. The 50th percentile and the 90th. Long and skinny, that's what the nurse said. She got her shots, and did very well. Her cry was ever so pitiful, and completely broke my heart. You don't ever want to hear you baby cry out in pain. But, in this situation, I believe that her shots are needed, so I guess you could say it is worth it.

By the end of the week, Kel had a stomach, lower intestinal bug, and I was getting a cold. By the weekend, Kel still had her bug, but was better, but was now infected with the cold also. We were pitiful, the two of us. When we finally start feeling better, Caelyn decides that she is going to catch it from us. And her little voice has been raspy. It is the cutest, saddest sound ever. I got her some eucalyptus soap to wash in, and was going to make a rub for her chest, but they were out of eucalyptus oil. So I just got some camphor to put in the vaporizer. The soap and the vaporizer seemed to help. I still plan to get some eucalyptus oil and to make a rub. Especially since it seems that Gryfi might be getting the cold now. I feel better using that for all of us. Of course, I hope we don't get sick any more, but I know we will. Oh, we also bought a netti pot. I wasn't brave enough to use it, but Kel did, and she really said it helped.

We started Caelyn on cereal this past Monday, on her 5 month birthday. And she LOVES it! We know that they say breastfed babies don't need anything until 6 months. But we decided that she was ready. She can almost sit up on her own, she is rolling all over the place, and she is WAY into our food and drinks. So, we decided that she was ready. And she does GREAT!!! She had cereal twice a day, Mon - Wed, and then on Thurs, we added applesauce along with her cereal. Which I made myself! (yes, I am proud of this!) We have talked about wanting to do it, and figure that this is probably our last chance. And I loved doing it! I only made applesauce and bananas to freeze, but plan to make more this weekend. I really did enjoy doing it. And really wish we would have done it with Gryfinn. Caelyn really likes the applesauce! Which makes me even more proug that I made it!!!

I am also looking into donating my breast milk. I have a helluva supply. Right now, there are over 100oz in the freezer (this is just since I think the end of Sept) and I usually add about 5-6 oz a day to the freezer, and do not have to dip into the freezer supply. This is on top of what Caelyn eats, and what is used to make her cereal. Kel gives her a bottle of breastmilk after her morning cereal, and this is when I pump. And I get anywhere between 9 and 12 oz each morning. If I start pumping at night before I go to bed, I could increase my supply even more. We had read an article in our local newspaper a few months ago about milk banks, and we talked about it then. I had a good supply with Gryfinn also, (*only had one episode where I thought I would have to supplement, and that was my fault for not keeping up with my pumping like I should.) Ok, anyways, so I got online and was looking up breast milk banks, and found HMBANA - and have emailed the closest milk bank for more information. I just did that today, so I am waiting to hear back from them. I am really excited about this. I will update as soon as I hear more.

I also promise to post pictures soon too!!



*Please don't anyone take offense. I do not think supplementing or exclusively formual feeding is wrong, bad, or anything like that at all. I say that, cause when I thought we might have to give Gryfinn formula, and was upset about it, I posted it on one of the boards I used to frequent, and someone took it as me saying that women who do not breastfeed are bad women. And I do not feel this way at all! So, please, no one think I mean that. Jarrod was only breastfed for 5 1/2 months, and then went to formula, Jayk was not breastfed at all. But, I am a dedicated breastfeeding mother, and for me, wanting to exclusively nurse my children for their first year of life is what is right for me. I do not look down, or think badly of any one that loves their children and takes care of them and nourishes them - whether they breast or bottle feed.

2 comments:

Team Serrins Springfield said...

My partner donated milk with our first to the local milk bank. They have some regulations and paperwork but it's a worthy effort. It sounds like your supply is much greater than hers was.

Good luck and everyone feel better.

Megn said...

That's fantastic that you're looking into donating.

And I can vouch for the netti pot. It's gross, but it really works! Lacy won't try it either...

I can't believe your kids are getting so big!