Thursday, December 15, 2011

Holiday Traditions!

This is the 10th Christmas that Kel and I have been together, but the 9th one with us living together, and shopping together, and doing all things Holiday together.  Over the past 9 years, we have made our own traditions.  Some started before we got together and we continued to do while together, some we started together as a family and I am sure as the years go on, we will make many more family traditions!

We start off the holiday season by getting our tree.  Our first Christmas, we bought a tree at a local chain store.  The next year, we cut one down.  And that has been the tradition ever since.  We all go out to the tree farm, and we look until we find 'the' tree.  The boy's cut it down (first few years was with the help of the Mom's but now they can do it on their own) Gryfinn's 2nd Christmas he stayed with my Mom while we ventured out.  It was too cold (as in freezingly frigid cold) and it was snowing.  And last year, just the big boys and I went.  Gryfinn had strep, so Kel stayed at home with him and Caelyn. 

This year, we all were able to go.  (including an extra kid! which worked out great, cause we used him as our family photographer!)  This was Gryfinn's first time helping the big boys cut the tree down, and he was super excited!

Gryfinn cutting down the tree
Jarrod, cutting down the tree... head phones, yep, this boy doesn't go anywhere without his music

Jaykob cutting down the tree.  It was the Michigan OSU game.. explains the eyeblack


The kids and the tree before they cut it down. 
And yeah, not sure why, but Jaykie is apparently choking Gryfinn, but
Gryfinn doesn't seem to be minding too much!

The Clan


Once we get home, and get everyone situated.  We decorate the tree.  Kel and I put the lights on, and then we have the kids come help us put the ornaments on.


Gryfinn - wonder if this one was the hooker.  haha

Jarrod and his I really don't care to have my picture taken smile

Jaykie - he was way in to having his picture taken while decorating the tree

Me

I love this picture of him!

Kel

The Princess!

Me and Kel...
The tree is done, lets relax!

Another holiday tradition is going to see Christmas lights.  We drive through neighborhoods looking at lights and we have a place that we go.  It has changed over the years.  And we really like the place that we go to now.  They have Santa in a log cabin.  The kids get to sit on his lap, and tell him what they want.  And we can take as many pic's as we like!  They also have reindeer, and hot chocolate, and horse carriage rides, and carnival rides!  It really is a lot of fun.  Just have to plan to go when it isn't super cold outside, or if it is warm, that it isn't raining.  It is about a 45 minute drive from here, so we can't go during the week when Jarrod has wrestling practice.  And then this weekend, he has a wrestling tournament.... so, finding the time to go is the biggest issue this year! 

We also get new ornaments each year. It's fun to let the kids pick out a new one.  Last year, the kids made ornaments, and that was a lot of fun.  A new tradition that I just realized that I want to be an actual tradition, is to get an ornament for each year, with the year on it.  We have these from the last few years, (one was purchased, one was made for us, and then another purchased) and I really like that.  Not that I don't like all of our new ornaments, cause I do, it's just that I like having the year on it - cause I know from which Christmas it was from.  Without having to try and rack my brain.  Cause let me tell ya, the brain isn't what it used to be!  And any way that I can cheat, I am all for it! :o)

Another tradition, is all of us sitting down and watching some of the classic Christmas movies/shows together.  We all LOVE The Elf movie.  It is hilarious, and we all have parts that we recite (I love you, I love you, I LOOOVE you! :)  We enjoy this a great deal.  We make popcorn, cozy up on the couch, and watch it.  (and the kids applaud when I am able to stay awake for an entire movie!)

One of my favorite traditions that we have is Santa's pre-visit on Christmas Eve.  While we are out, Santa stops by, and leaves pajamas for all of us on our beds.  It's his way of saying 'I will be back with your presents, but not until you are in your new jammies, all cozy and snuggled up in your beds, fast asleep!'  I love how excited the kids are to get their new jammies.  Even when their belief in Santa is no longer, they still like having those new jammies waiting on them when they return home on Christmas Eve!

I know as the years go on, we will make new traditions, and possibly drop some old ones.  But right now, these are the ones that mean the most to me, and by the looks on Kel's and the kids faces, they mean a lot to them too!

What are your holiday traditions?

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

SUCH great traditions. And it seems that the traditions are the best part of growing up....which means...you win as parents ! Nice job.

Trees are so stinking expensive. I would LOVE to have a real tree.

Elf is funny. It took a couple of times for me to truly appreciate the humor in it though :)

Montana's mom said...

Your traditions sound like so much fun!! I love making new traditions with my daughter.

A few of our traditions are: go to a new movie that is Christmas related--probably Arthur Christmas this year, drive around and look at lights after the movie, have a Christmas party for friends and family just finger foods and games, and make cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. I also do an ornament a year :-)